In our review, this treadmill could be a five-star purchase for beginning to intermediate power walkers and joggers – but if you’re a runner you might prefer the next step up, the NordicTrack 900. Its motor is a bit more powerful and the track accommodates a longer stride.
What We Like
- Endless Program Options: The C 700 treadmill is loaded with 24 workout applications. Designed by a certified personal trainer, each app targets calorie burning, incline training, speed and/or workout intensity goals. The options become endless when you add an iFit console. Yes, you’ll shell out more for a console and an iFit membership, but it’s comparable to joining a gym and having a personal trainer. One neat feature is that iFit interacts with Google Maps; your treadmill will adjust its incline to mimic the charted terrain. You could walk across the country, through a national park, or down your own street on a rainy day – virtually! Besides that, iFit gives you personalized workout downloads, virtual training with Jillian Michaels from The Biggest Loser, a Facebook connection, and more.
- Console Screen: The 6” backlit console screen is designed for easy reading at any angle. It’s a bit smaller than the screen on the C 900 but it accomplishes its basic job of displaying speed, time, distance, calories and pulse. A racetrack graphic depicts your progress in quarter-mile laps.
- Wireless Heart Rate Monitor: Trainees have two options for heart rate monitoring with the new NordicTrack treadmill. First, pulse sensors are built into the handlebars. Second, the machine can interact with a wireless chest strap monitor that’s sold separately.
- Audio Entertainment: The C 700 has an InterMix Acoustics 2.0 sound system and a port for your iPod or other MP3 player. InterMix Acoustics 2.0 has been the standard in high-fidelity for several years. However, more expensive NordicTracks now have the 3.0 version with larger speakers.
- Long & Cushioned Track: The track is just right for all but the tallest runners. It measures 20”x58” and has DualFlex™ cushioning, which reduces the pressure on your body by about 20% compared with road running. Want an even better track? If you’re a runner or have joint issues, consider getting the C 900 instead. It has QuadPlex™ cushioning to further minimize stress on your body.
- Power Incline: The motorized incline tilts up to 12% to help you stimulate different muscle fibers, get even better tone and burn calories more quickly.
- Commercial Motor: This unit’s 2.75 HP DurX motor is designed to support long workouts. It’s sold with a lifetime warranty.
- Warranty: You’ll get lifetime warranties on the motor and frame, a two-year parts warranty and the first year of labor free.
- High Capacity: The sturdy treadmill has a 350 pound capacity.
- SpaceSaver: The NordicTrack C 700 can be folded vertically for storage.
What We Don’t Like
Finding fault with this unit isn’t easy; it’s a fine entry-level treadmill for the price and warranty. Customer reviews of this treadmill haven’t been posted yet though, so we don’t have mass data.
With other inexpensive treadmills people might complain that iFit costs extra, but that shouldn’t be a problem here; enough workout apps are included on the standard model to let this machine stand alone and maintain your interest.
We recommend NordicTrack’s C 700 treadmill to walkers and joggers who want good basics and a few extras. This unit includes the essentials such as a capable motor, a long and cushioned track, and lots of programs – plus it has audio, an incline and iFit-readiness.
That said, if you can spend a bit more the C 900 might be of interest. Its upgrades include a slightly more powerful motor, a longer track, more cushioning and a steeper incline.