Bodycraft Blu 800M Review
The Blu Series 800M is Bodycraft’s top treadmill for runners. Introduced in 2015, it’s a relatively new option for home gyms and light commercial fitness centers. This treadmill features a 63″ track, provides plenty of workout guidance and has a great warranty on parts: 12 years for home use, five years for light commercial. Impressive quality control helps ensure easy assembly and product durability.
A unique feature of the Bodycraft 800M Treadmill is variable cushioning. Trainees choose from six levels of shock absorption to get a just-right combination of support and cushioning. Other highlights include a 15% automated incline, heart rate controlled workouts and a tablet computer port.
This unit is priced at $2,999 but sells for less during a launch special. The introductory special also adds a free chest strap for wireless heart rate monitoring.
What We Like:
- Long Track: Sized for long strides, the Blu Series 800M has a 63″ x 20″ track. The two-ply belt is made with silicone to avoid the need for lubrication. Other treadmills in the Blu Series have 58” tracks. All Blue Series treadmill tracks have 2.5″ rollers with sealed bearings.
- High Speed: This runners’ treadmill has a top speed of 12 mph. The slowest speed is .5 mph, and speed increases by .1 mph increments. Data can be displayed in miles or kilometers.
- Cushioning: Bodycraft’s Blu Series treadmills have six kinetic energy dampers under the tracks. Easily adjusted, they help trainees get a comfortable combination of firm push-off support and a cushioned landing.
- Incline: The track can incline automatically by up to 15% to support faster calorie burn and muscle definition. With 1,350 pounds of thrust, the incline motor moves smoothly for a comfortable and dynamic workout experience.
- Console Extras: The 800M treadmill has a water bottle holder, an accessory tray, a reading rack and a jack for a tablet computer.
- Workouts: A blue dot matrix screen displays progress through 18 preset workout programs. Some of the options are named Manual, Interval, Thigh Burner, Glute Tone and Easy Jog. Four programs interact with the trainee’s heart rate via a contact monitor or wireless telemetry. A custom program can be saved too. In case a person needs to pause a workout, the console will save data for up to 30 minutes.
- Data: Ten data points are provided: Speed, Average Speed, Incline, Time, Distance, Vertical Distance, Pace, Avg. Pace, Calories, Cal/Min, METS, Heart Rate and % Max Heart Rate.
- Heart Rate Monitoring: The Bodycraft 800M Treadmill is sold with a contact heart rate monitor and can be used with wireless chest straps. At product launch a chest strap is included ($49 value). The contact heart rate monitor is more useful than those from some other brands; a person can comfortably make contact with the receiver during workouts.
- Motor: The 3.0 HP continuous duty motor is built to last. It’s under lifetime warranty for home use and is covered for 10 years in light commercial settings.
- Assembly: Assembling this treadmill is relatively easy. The Bodycraft manual provides clear instructions divided into seven steps.
- High Capacity: The 800M treadmill can support up to 400 pounds.
- Transport Wheels: This fitness machine weighs nearly 275 pounds, yet it’s easy to move thanks to attached transport wheels.
- Warranty: New Bodycraft treadmills have excellent warranties. The residential warranty for the Bodycraft 800M provides lifetime coverage on the motor and frame. Parts are protected for 12 years and labor is provided for two. For light commercial settings the frame and motor are protected for 10 years. Parts are protected for five years and free labor is provided during the first year of ownership.
- Quality Control: Bodycraft goes the extra mile to ensure that its products are properly made. Each treadmill is fully assembled at the factory, then tested for speed, electronics and so forth. The treadmill is then disassembled and the parts are cleaned. Finally, to ensure that all parts are included, Bodycraft weighs each box before shipping.
What We Don’t Like:
- Machine Size: This treadmill is rather large. Its footprint is 88″ long and 33″ wide.
The Bodycraft 800M is a solid choice for light commercial and residential shoppers. It’s an especially good choice for runners, given the long track and variable cushioning. (If a long track isn’t needed, then the 400M is a good alternative.) The new Blu Series still needs to be time-tested, but Bodycraft’s thorough quality control and long warranties help instill confidence in its products.