The Bowflex TC10 (aka the TreadClimber or WalkTC) offers three fitness machines in one: a treadmill, a stairclimber, and an elliptical trainer. Two long pedals (called treadles) start out flat but the incline can be adjusted up to 40% to increase the challenge and support remarkably efficient exercise. With the TC10, you will burn fat twice as quickly as you would with a traditional treadmill.
Similar WalkTC models from Bowflex are the TC5 and the TC20. The TC5 is a simpler machine. It has a lower weight capacity and doesn’t use a power cord. The TC20 has more programming, a higher weight capacity, and a longer warranty. The TC10 strikes a nice balance between the two.
What We Like:
- Efficient Workouts: By training on a steep incline, a walker can get the same fitness results as a runner – and without the stressful impact on knees and ankle joints. When the TC10 is at full tilt, you’ll burn fat twice as quickly as you would on a standard treadmill.
- Goal Setting: Unlike the cheaper TC5, the TC10 has Goal Oriented Coach technology. This feature sets weekly goals for 90 minutes of training and tracks progress for one user. You’ll also get a Climb Indicator. Every time you climb another 100 feet, you’ll get an encouraging notification of your progress.
- Ergonomic console: The console holds water bottles and reading material.
- Space Efficient: The TC10 has a 50.6″L x 30.3″W footprint. It’s comparable in size to a compact treadmill. Thanks to the attached wheels, it’s easy to move the machine when needed.
- High capacity: This unit has a weight limit of 300 pounds. It weighs about 185 pounds and has a steel frame.
Bowflex TC10 TreadClimber Treadmill - Key Specs:
|Top Speed:||4 MPH|
|Weight Capacity:||300 LBS|
|Dimensions:||50.6" L x 30.3" W x 52.3" H|
- No Preset Workouts: The TC10 isn’t known for its preset programming. The simple console shows steps taken, calories burned, distance, speed, and time. You can choose from 12 intensity settings and set the speed from .5 mph to 4 mph.
- No Extras: You won’t find an iPod port, Internet connection or other perks on a Bowflex.
- Assembly: Some assembly is required.
- Lubrication Required: Owners will occasionally need to lubricate the treadles.
- Not for Running: Whereas traditional treadmills can handle speeds up to 12 mph, the Bowflex TC10 has a top speed of 4 mph. If you’d like to run indoors, you might prefer a NordicTrack incline trainer.
- Short Warranty: Customers get a two-year warranty on the full machine. If you buy the TreadClimber at full price, the warranty seems a bit light. Customers who are disappointed with any TreadClimber can return it within six weeks for a refund.
The TC10 is a strong option for any serious exerciser. Whether you’re a beginner or an elite athlete, this machine provides challenging workouts and fast results. The TC10 is also a great buy for those who need to be conscious of space in their home gym, providing a much better workout than a compact treadmill. However, the lack of built-in exercise programs or entertainmen is disappointing. This is a steamlined machine designed for people who don’t need distractions to enjoy exercise.