Gold’s Gym treadmills are sold primarily through major discount retailers such as Wal-Mart and Sam’s Club. The treadmills are manufactured by ICON, a world leader in fitness equipment production. Some of ICON’s other lines include NordicTrack and ProForm. Gold’s Gym treadmills are part of the company’s economy line and are not their top tier machines.
What We Like
- Price: Priced at about $400-$600, Gold’s Gym entry level treadmills generally cost less than the competition. The brand also includes models priced up to $1,500.
- Extra exercise: The Gold’s Gym CrossWalk 570 Treadmill comes with resistance training program for the upper body. With CrossWalk Upper-Body Arms, walkers can tone their arms and burn up to 50% more calories.
- Tracks: The lower-end Gold’s Gym treadmills have short treadbelts, but the VX5000 boasts a roomy 60″ x 19″ running surface that’s perfect for runners taller than 5’7″ or so. The tracks also absorb impact with StepTech cushion technology.
- Motors: The brand’s 2.5 HP motors meet or beat other cost-conscious brands. Gold’s Gym motors are suitable for most walkers and joggers, but they’re certainly not the best choice for serious runners.
What We Don’t Like
- Instability and noise: Customers have reported that the cheaper Gold’s Gym treadmills are shaky and make more noise than expected.
- Noise: Warranties: Gold’s Gym treadmills may look similar to ICON’s other machines, but they have less than impressive warranties. For instance, the frame on the Gold’s Gym 450 Treadmill is only backed for 90 days.
- Shipping policy: As of this writing, Gold’s Gym treadmills are not available with free home delivery. Customers who buy online must travel to the nearest retailer (usually a Wal-Mart) for pick-up.
- Customer service: Although customers have rated Gold’s Gym treadmills highly overall, many have complained about poor customer service.
Gold’s Gym treadmills are decent investment for walkers and light runners on a tight budget. However, sturdier treadmills with additional features are available at a similar price with other brands, so it’s wise to shop around before committing. Those who do commit to a Gold’s Gym treadmills are advised to purchase extended warranty though. Otherwise all of the money saved by buying through Gold’s Gym will disappear on repairs.