Tip: This unit is best for walking and light jogging. ProForm’s best treadmills for runners are in the PRO and Performance series.
What We Like
- Many Workout Programs: Sixteen calorie-burn workouts are built into the machine. You also get an iFit card with 24 weight loss programs led by Jillian Michaels, a certified personal trainer. Additional workout cards, sold separately, include another eight weeks’ worth of workouts each. You can choose from cards targeting weight loss, performance or endurance.
- Clear Screen: The wide-angle console can be read easily, whatever your height. It displays distance, speed, time, calories burned, incline and pulse. You can also set it to RaceTrack mode to monitor your overall progress.
- Pulse Monitor: Heart rate sensors are included on the handlebars. By monitoring your pulse, you can exercise within a target heart rate and maximize your workout.
- Good Cushioning: This unit’s cushioning reduces joint impact by up to 15% compared with running on asphalt. A runner would probably want better cushioning, but this is fine for walking.
- Motor: The 2.25 CHP motor is adequate for smooth speed walking and jogging.
- Audio: The 400 CT includes an iPod port and 2.0 Intermix Acoustics speakers. These aren’t the best treadmill speakers available, but they’re a nice perk for the sale price.
- Track: The track is 20″ x 55″, which is long enough for most walkers and many joggers. It also inclines by 10% to help you burn calories more quickly and train different muscles.
- SpaceSaver Design: The deck can be folded vertically to save space.
ProForm 400 CT Treadmill - Key Specs:
|Top Speed:||10 MPH|
|Weight Capacity:||300 LBS|
- Poor Warranty: Parts are protected for just 90 days. Customers get a lifetime frame warranty and a 25-year motor warranty. See our other ProForm treadmill reviews for machines with much better warranty packages.
- Slow Customer Service: If you do need replacement parts, don’t expect them to ship quickly. Customers have complained of waiting weeks for back-ordered parts for the 400 CT.
The ProForm 400 CT treadmill is a pretty good option for someone starting a weight loss program. The built-in programs and iFit card workouts can help you walk your way to fitness – and before the 90-day parts warranty is up. When the machine works as intended, it can help you break through weight loss plateaus and stay motivated. That said, if you buy this treadmill, definitely get an extended warranty.
Also, be sure to check out the newer ProForm treadmills before committing. They have longer standard warranties and they often have great sale prices too. For example, when it’s on sale, the ProForm Performance 1450 costs just a few hundred dollars more. It has iFit Live, a 10” touchscreen with a web browser, and a more advanced speaker system.