TreadmillReviews.net Guide to the History of Sports
The creation and evolution of sports says a lot about the interests of the people throughout the course of society. In today’s society, the five major sports include football, basketball, baseball, hockey and soccer. Dr. James Naismith invented basketball in 1891 in Springfield, Mass., while football is the evolution of rugby and other sports, with the first football game played in 1869 between Rutgers and Princeton. The histories of baseball, soccer and hockey have less clear origins, with a number of people from England, China and Canada, respectively, acknowledged as the creators of these sports. These sports have all evolved into large industries, with fans from all over the world enjoying such spectacles as the Super Bowl, NBA All-Star Weekend and World Series.
- History of Basketball – Dr. James Naismith, Inventor of Basketball – This article profiles Dr. Naismith and how he invented the sport of basketball.
- The ‘Secret History’ of Baseball’s Earliest Days – NPR goes in depth about the earliest days of America’s favorite pastime.
- History of Football – A Brief History of the Game – This piece illustrates how football came from rugby and started on college campuses.
- Hockey Heritage – Montreal Hockey History – The piece goes into detail about the creation of Hockey.
American football, not to be confused with soccer, is a sport that has become a dominant force. Casual and hardcore sports fans gather around the television every fall to enjoy the game, while also making sure to set their fantasy rosters. The game has made an effort to become safer, with a number of rules to protect players. Technology has benefited the sport for television presentation and scientists are working hard to find ways to reduce concussions.
- The Early History of Football’s Forward Pass – Smithsonian Magazine – The Smithsonian Institute details perhaps the most important advancement in the game of football, the forward pass.
- NFL Looks to Helmet Technology to Combat Concussions – With brain safety making headlines all over, the NFL looks to improve upon its helmets.
- History of the Game of Football Including The NFL and College Football – This article provides information on how football was birthed in college and became a nationwide phenomenon.
The sport of basketball has evolved throughout the years, with the National Basketball Association currently reigning as the big league. Many people also enjoy the college game, as the filling out of March Madness brackets has become a part of American pop culture. The sport is often noted for the years in which Michael Jordan played, because the popularity was at an all-time high, and Jordan is largely considered the best player to ever participate in the sport.
- History of Basketball – This NBA Hoops Online article covers the creation of the game and discusses the formation of the ABL.
- Springfield College: The Birthplace of Basketball – This college takes pride in being the birthplace of basketball, and discusses historical information on Dr. Naismith.
- National Basketball Association – History – ABA – NBL – This site features information on rule changes throughout the history of basketball, and the creation of the major leagues, before and after the merger.
- NCAA Basketball Rule Change History – Over the years the rules of NCAA basketball have evolved. This timeline lists the changes when they happened.
A look into the history of baseball will raise a lot of questions. While it is unclear which one person played a role in its creation, millions of people from all over have taken to the game. The sport bears the nickname, “America’s pastime,” due to the love that the United States has had for the sport. Baseball has faced intense scrutiny for steroid abuse, but has since made great efforts to clean up the game.
- Negro League History 101 – An Introduction to the Negro Leagues – The site explains the history of the Negro Leagues, and touches on how Jackie Robinson’s departure caused it to fold.
- Dressed to the Nines – A History of the Baseball Uniform – Find out a lot of interesting information on the baseball uniform including a timeline of its evolution and the parts that make it up.
- The Steroids Era – MLB Topics – ESPN – ESPN explains the steroids era with an overview and additional information.
Soccer’s roots trace back to China, and it is regarded as the most popular sport in the world today. The World Cup, played every four years, is an event that has reached Olympic games-like popularity throughout the world. Both men’s and women’s soccer thrive as global sports, with national pride on display with each event. The game has grown leaps and bounds since its creation, and continues to be a presence throughout the world.
- History of Football – The Origins – FIFA.com – The soccer league explains the creation of soccer and advancements over time.
- Technology in Soccer: Training Equipment – This site takes a look at the technology of soccer and training.
- A brief history of the World Cup: From humble beginnings in Uruguay – CNN.com – The news giant provides history on how the World Cup has become the major event it is today.
Hockey is a sport that Canadians take great pride in. The sport has been large culturally, with figures like Wayne Gretzky hailed as icons and the 1980 Miracle on Ice referenced as one of the greatest sports moments of all time. Today, the Winter Classic is celebrated as a unique event, in which hockey teams play a game on the ice outdoors. The sport has branched out greatly, and has a presence throughout the world.
- History of Hockey – International Hockey Federation – From its beginnings to today, this page provides a history of the sport of hockey.
- History of Hockey Canada – History (Part 1) – This site explains the beginnings of hockey as an organized sport.
- Lace Up: Canada’s Passion for Skating – History of Hockey in Canada – This article contains a brief history of Canadian hockey.
- Better Safe Than Sorry – USA Hockey Magazine – This in depth article touches on the evolution of hockey safety measures.
- Winter Classic is a cool concept – This article explains the Winter Classic, which is been a breath of fresh air for the sport.