True Z5.4 Review
The True Z5.4 Treadmill is very similar to the Z5.0 but has extra width (22 inches versus 20 inches). Note that both have unusually short tracks – just 54″ long – and most people want or need more space to take a comfortable running stride. These treadmills are marketed to people who don’t have much space to spare in a home gym. Other True Fitness treadmills have longer tracks.
What We Like
- Heart Rate Control: Only six workouts are included, but one uses heart rate control. You can set your desired cardio challenge level and the treadmill will automatically adjust speed and incline to keep you in the right zone! This is accomplished with the digital heart rate monitoring system.
- Compact Machine: The treadmill’s footprint is just 68″ L x 30″ W. However, the compromise is a small workout space.
- Console: True Fitness consoles are easy to use and ergonomically designed. The Z5.4 Treadmill console has a small LCD with light blue display for exercise data. Convenient “Quick Control” buttons let you adjust speed or incline at any time during a workout.
- Heart Rate Monitoring: To help you exercise efficiently, grip heart rate sensors and wireless monitoring are included.
- Power Incline: The motorized incline can be tilted up to 12%. Using a slight incline (1%) mimics the effects of outdoor track running, and steeper inclines bring dramatically fast results in terms of toning and calorie burn!
- Strong Motor: This treadmill’s quiet 3.0 HP motor supports speeds from .5 to 12 mph. The motor has a 30-year warranty.
- High Capacity: The True Z5.4 weighs 278 pounds. Like the Z5.0, it has a 400 pound capacity.
- Long Parts Warranty: The Z5.4 has a lifetime frame warranty and 30 year motor warranty. Parts and electronics are covered for ten years. In-home labor is covered for the first year. However, the warranty is voided if you use the machine without lubricating it.
- Transport Wheels: Front transport wheels help you move the treadmill.
What We Don’t Like
- Short Track: The track is just 54″ long. Standard treadmills have tracks of 58″ or 60″. On the other hand, this track is wider than most. It’s 22″ wide whereas most treadmill tracks are 20″ wide.
- Labor Warranty: The labor warranty of one year is rather short for this big investment. Also, you’ll be charged for the worker’s transportation if they need to travel more than 50 miles.
- Maintenance: You’ll be responsible for lubricating the treadmill track. If you don’t lubricate the track and something goes wrong, your warranty will be voided! Most treadmills in this price range are sold with self-maintaining tracks.
- High Price: The Z5.4 costs about $800 more than the Z5.0, and we don’t see justification for the price jump.
The True Z5.0 and True Z5.4 Treadmills are designed for smaller home gyms. These units cost more than most home treadmills but have warranties to match. Even so, they are rather basic and don’t get us excited. We’d rather spend less on a more interesting treadmill, or a similar amount on a luxury treadmill that’s maintenance-free. The Landice Executive Treadmill with lifetime warranty on the entire machine is a great alternative.