Programming is a strength of the new 870 Treadmill console. Its computer can keep four user profiles, and it assesses fitness after each workout session. The programming includes a great variety of treadmill workout routines, plus you get lots of data feedback and long-term storage for workout statistics. Specifics include 26 on-board workout apps; easy integration with RunSocial videos; 15 data fields such as distance and average pace; and Bluetooth for data export. This console is packaged with a wireless heart rate transmitter too.
As for the treadmill’s physical performance, specs include a 3.0 CHP drive, a 60-inch workout surface, and power incline to 12 percent. This combination of features helps make the 870 useful for runners and walkers alike. Additionally a high quality workout belt and large crowned rollers help make the 870 a good match for runners; you can log plenty of miles before belt maintenance is needed. A possible drawback is that the deck suspension is basic. With a more expensive treadmill, you’d get advanced cushioning to help protect your ankles and knees.
Amenities on the new Schwinn 870 include a USB charging port, a ledge to fit a mobile device, and an smartphone-compatible sound system.
What We Like:
- Pro-Sized Track: Just like a typical health club treadmill, this model gives you 60″ x 20” of workout room.
- Folding Frame: To save floor space the Schwinn 870 has a foldable frame. With help from hydraulics, you can easily lift the workout deck and push it into a vertical position for temporary storage.
- High-End Workout Belt: Most treadmills under $1,200 have single-ply workout belts. The new Schwinn 870 gives owners the advantage of a two-ply workout belt, which is longer-lasting and needs less maintenance.
- Power Incline: The Schwinn 870 has a top speed of 12 mph, plus it lets you add challenge with a power incline. The maximum incline setting is 12 percent.
- Data Feedback: Schwinn treadmill consoles can hold four user profiles. Each profile can save customized workouts, and data can be saved to the console computer and synced with mobile apps. Besides tracking the usual treadmill workout data such as speed and heart rate, the 870 gives detailed feedback about your pace compared with previous workouts. It also shows your all-time records for calorie burn and distance. Following each session the screen shows metrics about your previous session, workouts from the past seven days, and workouts from the past 30 days.
- Heart Rate Monitoring: Schwinn treadmills have touch sensors for heart rate monitoring. They also support wireless telemetry, and the 870 is packaged with a wireless chest strap.
- Built-In Training Programs and RunSocial: The new Schwinn 870 Treadmill console has a 26-item workout menu. This includes profile programs, heart rate control workouts, fitness tests, user-designed routines and more. Furthermore the treadmill is ready for use with the RunSocial mobile app, which lets you virtually exercise in real-life outdoor settings. With RunSocial your avatar (a realistic-looking exerciser) merges with HD video shown on your mobile screen or home TV. Avatars for other users are visible too, so you can meet up with friends in virtual settings! RunSocial for Android and iOS gives you a choice of regular HD videos and 360-degree virtual reality exercise videos, which are made for viewing with a headset.
- Amenities: The new Schwinn 870 console has a media ledge, a USB charging port, smartphone-compatible speakers, two drink holders and a three-speed fan.
Schwinn 870 Treadmill - Key Specs:
|Running Area:||60" x 20”|
|Top Speed:||12 MPH|
|Weight Capacity:||300 LBS|
|Dimensions:||72.2" L x 35.2" W x 57.6" H|
- Warranty: Schwinn treadmill warranties aren’t competitive. The warranty package for the new 870 provides 10 years on the frame and motor, whereas lifetime warranties are the norm on treadmills over $1,000. Also provided are two years on parts and electronics, and one year on labor. These terms are closer to the norm.
- Machine Size: Although the 870 is a folding treadmill, it needs dedicated floor space. It’s too heavy to be frequently moved. Unfolded it has a footprint measuring just over 77 inches long and 35 inches wide. You might need a more compact fitness machine.
- Thinner Deck: Schwinn treadmill decks are thinner than those of other treadmills. Thicker decks tend to be better at absorbing the noise of exercise.
- Electronic Glitches: Customers have reported that their treadmill consoles malfunction, and that getting repairs or replacements involves a long wait.
The Schwinn 870 Treadmill can provide good value for about $1,200 with delivery included. This cardio trainer caters to people who like to track workout data, and it’s also appealing for its ready-to-go RunSocial compatibility. Our main hesitation is the substandard warranty. Some customers have reported faulty electronics, and labor expenses could kick in after a year of ownership. You might spot a better value on our chart of top-rated treadmills under $1,500.