The Matrix S-Drive Performance Trainer is an exciting multi-purpose fitness machine that helps athletes refine their form while building power, endurance, and agility. This self-powered trainer looks similar to a treadmill but is far more versatile. It offers the benefits of exercise with a motorless treadmill, a simulated sled, resistance parachutes, and a harness system all in one. The Matrix S-Drive has adjustable resistance options and can be used at virtually any intensity level.
How does it work? First, athletes can move forward, backward, or laterally on the 60″ x 22″ track, which feels similar to training on an outdoor track or field. The machine responds to user motion, so immediate changes can be made in response to coaching. Next, two special features add resistance to cardio workouts:
- A harness system helps replicate the feel of parachute resistance and lets trainees work on resisted sprint drills.
- A sturdy handlebar in front of the track can be pushed and pulled to simulate sled exercise.
Braking for the parachute and sled have multiple settings to accommodate different needs and help trainees get efficient results. Since the Matrix S-Drive is self-powered, it can meet any ability level and be placed pretty much anywhere with no need for an outlet. Somehow, everything is condensed to take up the same amount of floor space as a typical treadmill.
The S-Drive is ideal for high-intensity interval training (HIIT) and other exercises for cardiovascular endurance, agility, form, and strength training. Here are pros and cons to consider.
What We Like:
- Manual Control: Unlike a motorized treadmill track, the belt on the Matrix S-Drive is driven by the user’s power. This means that the track has a true zero start and an unlimited top speed.
- Agility Training: The user-powered track lets athletes work on form for forward, reverse and lateral movements. The 60″ long x 22″ wide training surface allows for a natural gait.
- Handrails: Handrails run the full length of the machine to support stability during exercises.
- Incline: The Matrix S-Drive track has a 7-degree tilt, which helps the machine be self-powered. The incline is a good match for sprinting and strength training.
- Parachute Brake: The parachute brake has 11 tension settings to give sprinters a customized challenge.
- Sled Bar: A sled bar at the front of the track lets the trainee push and pull the equivalent of up to 270 pounds through eight resistance settings.
- Compact Footprint: Considering all that it can accomplish, the S-Drive requires little space. Its dimensions are similar to a standard treadmill at 76.8″ L x 34.8″ W x 59″ H. Owners have flexibility with machine placement since it doesn’t have a power cord.
- High Capacity: Like commercial treadmills, this unit has a 400-pound user weight capacity.
- Warranty: The S-Drive Performance Trainer is sold with a nice warranty package including seven years for the frame and three years for parts and labor. The harness system is covered for six months.
Matrix S-Drive Performance Trainer Treadmill - Key Specs:
|Incline:||7 Degrees, Fixed|
|Running Area:||22" x 60"|
|Top Speed:||N/A MPH|
|Weight Capacity:||400 LBS|
|Dimensions:||76.8" L x 34.8" W x 59" H|
- Heavy: The S-Drive weighs 270 pounds, so it isn’t easily transported.
- Fixed Incline: The track incline is fixed, not variable.
- No Data or Programming: The Performance Trainer is ideal for use with a sports coach or personal trainer who can provide instruction and feedback. Unlike most commercial cardio trainers, it isn’t equipped with preset workout programs.
Unlike any other trainer the new Matrix S-Drive combines the benefits of a motorless treadmill, resistance parachutes, a harness system, and weighted sleds. This space-saver represents a genuine breakthrough in indoor athletic training and could be a valuable addition to serious sports training facilities. Since there are no preset workouts or even a console, this machine is best suited to advanced trainers or commercial settings.