The new TF50 is the leading foldable treadmill in the Matrix Fitness residential collection. This skillfully constructed treadmill for walkers and runners has a full 60″ x 20″ track and a heavy steel frame, yet still folds to a compact 41″ L x 36″ W for storage. Like all Matrix home treadmills the TF50 can be topped with one of three appealing consoles. The most impressive consoles have speakers, full color touchscreens, interactive Virtual Active video workouts, and personalized 8-week training programs. The best Matrix home treadmill consoles also feature over a dozen popular apps like YouTube, MyFitnessPal, Twitter, and Facebook.
Even though it folds, this cardio trainer is just as capable as traditional treadmills. The main specs for the Matrix TF50 include a 3.25 HP continuous duty motor, a top speed of 12.5 mph, and incline settings from zero to 15 percent (which is ideal for extra calorie burn and targeted muscle toning).
From the cushioning to the custom console, the Matrix TF50 is one of the best folding treadmills on the market. This sturdy machine weighs nearly 300 pounds and has a club quality 400-pound user weight capacity. The parts are under warranty for seven years and the electronics for five, which is a good match for a high-end treadmill. A typical sale price is $2,899 (with the simplest console).
What We Like:
- Custom Consoles: Matrix home treadmills are sold with a choice of three consoles: the XR, XER, and XIR. All have reading racks, wireless heart rate receivers, energy saving mode and bottle holders. The XER and XIR have touchscreen displays and popular apps like MyFitnessPal, Facebook, Twitter, Netflix, Hulu, and more. The XIR also has a web browser.
- Data Tracking: All consoles built for the TF50 can track fitness data locally and have ViaFit for automated online data tracking. Two of the consoles have the MyFitnessPal app as well. ViaFit and MyFitnessPal make it easy to automatically log and graph your fitness data from treadmill sessions and elsewhere. They’re also compatible with FitBit and similar devices.
- Virtual Active: Depending on the console, the TF50 arrives with Virtual Active video workouts. Virtual Active workouts coordinate scenic sights and sounds with the pace of your training, letting you virtually tour the globe from your treadmill.
- Passport: A Passport-ready TF50 can use Virtual Active with your own TV. Walk, jog, or run in front of high-definition video that adjusts to your pace. Passport Players for this service are sold separately.
- Track Length: The TF50 treadmill track size is just right for all but the largest runners. It measures 60″ long by 20″ wide. Aluminum siderails are included for safety.
- Cushioning: A 1″ deck with advanced cushioning helps prevent fatigue. Additionally the TF50 treadmill track is 2.2-mm thick and two-ply for comfort and durability.
- Incline: Rev up calorie burn and tone your muscles with help from a power incline. The Matrix TF50 treadmill track can tilt from zero to 15 percent. This feature is especially fun with scenic Virtual Active video workouts.
- High Speed: This treadmill can support up to 12.5 mph.
- Wireless Telemetry: Grip heart rate sensors are built into the treadmill’s aluminum handrails. Additionally all Matrix home treadmill consoles support wireless heart rate monitoring.
- Speakers: The XER and XIR consoles support high fidelity audio. Play your MP3s or use the treadmill speakers with built-in apps like YouTube and Hulu.
- Motor: The 3.25 CHP motor can support sprinting and long distance running for just about any trainee. However, a marathoner should consider moving up to the Matrix T70 (a non-folding treadmill) for even more horsepower.
- Transport Wheels: Four wheels are attached for transport.
- Folding: The Matrix TF50 Treadmill easily folds to reveal extra floor space between workouts. The folded dimensions are 41.1″ long x 35.8″ wide. Unfolded, the machine’s footprint is 81.3″ long x 35.8″ wide.
- Warranty: This high quality trainer has a home warranty with a lifetime protection for the frame, motor and cushioning; seven years for parts; and two years for labor. Each Matrix home treadmill console is sold with a five-year warranty.
Matrix TF50 Treadmill - Key Specs:
|Incline:||0 - 15%|
|Running Area:||20" x 60"|
|Top Speed:||12.5 MPH|
|Weight Capacity:||400 LBS|
|Dimensions:||81.3" L x 35.8" W x 62" H|
- Heavy: Matrix folding treadmills have wheels, but could still be unwieldy to move. The TF50 weighs 298 pounds, not including the console.
- Extra Cost: Passport Players and additional Virtual Active videos are sold separately.
The Matrix TF50 is easily a top choice among folding treadmills in its elite price class. This unit is well-made from deck to console, and a generous warranty helps make it a worry-free purchase. It’s certainly not an affordable machine for budget conscious shoppers. So monitor sales or look into some of the other options available from Matrix.