BH Fitness S1Ti Review
Launched in late 2014, the S1Ti Treadmill is part of an affordable new series by BH Fitness. BH Fitness is best known for its high-end fitness equipment, but the S1 Series is intended to offer great products for less money. (The full S1 Series includes a recumbent bike, an elliptical trainer, a rower, and the home treadmill reviewed here.) This treadmill review of 3.5 stars is our best guess before customer reviews are available.
The BH Fitness S1Ti Treadmill is designed for walking and light running. It has a 55″ x 20″ orthopedic track and 16 built-in workout programs — but many more programs are available for free. Bluetooth compatibility lets you surf the Internet and access additional workout apps via your Apple or Android device. The S1Ti Treadmill has a 3.0 HP motor. Its high speed is 10 mph.
The S1Ti Treadmill is sold with lifetime guarantees on the frame and motor. Parts are covered for three years. Labor is covered for one year.
See Our Video Review of the BH Fitness S1Ti Treadmill
What We Like:
- Varied Track Cushioning: Like all BH Fitness treadmills, the S1Ti has orthopedic cushioning. This unit has Active-Flex suspension, which is the same technology used in the brand’s Signature Series. Active-Flex suspension provides a shock-absorbing landing zone up front and a firmer area from which to push off. This varied cushioning can help improve your performance by deflecting shock and giving you an extra push. It can also reduce the risk of injury.
- Workout Variety: Sixteen programs are enough to keep most people challenged and engaged. With Bluetooth, you can access many more apps for exercise and for fitness in general (i.e., a body fat calculator).
- Handrail Controls: Very convenient! Adjust the treadmill’s speed or incline by pushing a button on your handrail; there’s no need to fiddle with the console.
- Incline: An incline is essential to simulating outdoor terrain — and it also keeps boredom at bay. The S1Ti Treadmill has a 12% maximum incline. This can easily be adjusted with controls that are built into the handrails. Using the automated incline can help you tone muscle and boost your metabolic rate. Also, incline training relieves stress on your joints by shifting your body weight.
- Wireless Heart Rate Monitoring: Knowledge is power! Make the most of your workouts by paying attention to your heart rate data. The S1Ti Treadmill includes grip heart rate monitoring and is compatible with Polar® wireless technology. The required chest strap is sold separately.
- Cooling Fan: A fan makes a big difference for endurance. This treadmill has a fan conveniently built into the console.
- Motor: The 3.0 HP treadmill motor is certainly respectable. It’s definitely enough for everyday walking and the occasional bout of more intense exercise.
- Capacity: The S1Ti Treadmill has a maximum capacity of 350 pounds. However, it only weighs about 170 pounds. It will need to be assembled very carefully to be stable and squeak-free for the heaviest trainees.
- Safety Key: For the safety of little kids and pets, a key is permanently affixed to the treadmill.
- Size: This product is sized reasonably for most homes. Its footprint measures about 35″ x 72″.
- Warranty: In general, BH Fitness provides excellent warranties. The S1Ti Treadmill warranty isn’t as robust as the others from this brand, but it beats those we’ve seen on low quality products. Customers get lifetime coverage on the frame and motor, three years of coverage for parts, and one year of labor.
What We Don’t Like:
- Console Display: There’s nothing wrong with the console display, but it’s nothing to get excited about. The Bh Fitness S1Ti Treadmill console has a simple digital readout with blue backlighting. The saving grace is that you can attach your iPad, iPhone or Android device.
- Lightish Weight: This unit is marked with a 350-pound user weight capacity. We wouldn’t necessarily take that at face value, although BH Fitness has a good reputation. The whole machine is just shy of 170 pounds. In general we’ve found that you want to weigh at least as much as your treadmill.
The BH Fitness S1Ti Treadmill is worth keeping an eye on. For now we can only assign a ranking based on the specs list; we haven’t tried this machine and user reviews aren’t in.
Overall this treadmill is most similar to the BH Fitness TS200i, which is a folding treadmill and the cheapest option in the Signature Series. Compared with that unit, the non-folding S1Ti has a more powerful motor, a few more programs, a lighter weight and a shorter warranty. Both units have Active-Flex cushioning, a 12% incline, and i.Concept workout/entertainment technology.
What now? If you’re not into purchasing the S1Ti, then read reviews of well-tested BH Fitness treadmills, see treadmills from other brands, or check our list of treadmill coupons.