Yowza Osprey Review
The sturdy Osprey is the entry-level treadmill in Yowza’s new Transformer class. Like the more expensive Sebring Transformer treadmill, this unit is fully foldable and has a 12% incline. However the Osprey’s shorter track and slightly less powerful motor make it appropriate only for walkers, not runners. Consumers have named the Yowza Osprey “Best in Class” recently.
What We Like:
- Powerful Motor for Walkers: The Osprey’s 2.75 HP continuous duty motor has a lifetime guarantee. It delivers quiet and smooth operation at speeds up to 11 mph and can accommodate trainees weighing up to 300 pounds.
- High-End Console: Yowza is known for its ergonomic consoles with nice perks. This unit’s console has a cup holder, an MP3 jack and two high-fidelity speakers.
- Incline: The motorized incline provides additional workout challenges. Exercising on an incline burns calories more efficiently than exercising on a non-tilted plane.
- Great Program Variety: Sixteen preset workouts are included. The preset programs focus on speed, distance, weight loss and endurance. Special program options include heart rate control and a pulse-based fitness test. Meanwhile, IWM uses age, gender, weight and height to design custom workouts. The Osprey includes a digital scale and can save profiles for up to nine users.
- Heart Rate Monitors: Heart rate can be monitored with grip pulse monitors or a wireless telemetry system. All required equipment is included in the treadmill sale price.
- Low Maintenance Deck: With three layers of lamination, the Yowza Osprey deck is designed for virtually maintenance-free use. In contrast, cheap treadmills require regular lubricating in order to run smoothly.
- Excellent Shock Absorption: Three features on the Osprey treadmill help to protect trainees’ joints. First, the deck “floats” on elastomer rings. Second, the deck’s patented swing-arm deck provides extra shock absorption. Third, the track has variable cushioning. Variable cushioning provides firm support where trainees step off the track and more cushioning where they land.
- Folding Design: This treadmill can be folded to save space in your home. A gas-assisted lifting system makes folding easy.
- Warranty: Yowza’s generous standard warranty leads the industry. It includes a lifetime guarantee on the motor and frame, 5 years on parts, and 2 years of in-home labor. Three-year, four-year and five-year service plans can be purchased too. Furthermore, buyers get a 60-day money back guarantee and 90 days of price protection.
Yowza Osprey Treadmill - Key Specs:
|Incline:||0 to 12%|
|Running Area:||20" x 52"|
|Top Speed:||11 MPH|
|Weight Capacity:||350 LBS|
|Dimensions:||69" L x 33" W x 55" H|
- Shorter Track: The Osprey’s track is 52″ long. This is too short for taller trainees, even when they engage the full 12% incline. The Yowza Sebring, a very similar machine, has a 55” track.
- No Fans: Fans definitely help with endurance. If you buy this treadmill, be sure you have a fan in your exercise room.
The Osprey gets an above-average treadmill review thanks to its superior components and excellent warranty. However, its short track length makes it inappropriate for people with long strides. We recommend this treadmill to shorter and average-height walkers seeking a good value with great consumer protections.