LifeSpan TR1200-DT5 Treadmill Desk Review
Customize LifeSpan’s most popular treadmill desk! The LifeSpan TR1200-DT5 combines a sound-absorbing 20″ x 50″ walking area with an adjustable-height desktop. For a custom look, the machine’s base and desktop are available in eight different color combinations. For a custom fit, the desktop has a wide range of height settings. If you’re somewhere between 4’10” and 6’8″ tall, this cardio trainer is likely a perfect solution to avoid a sedentary work style.
The treadmill’s small, yet weighty LCD console displays time, distance, and calories burned. It also shows the number of steps you’ve taken (a data point that can become addictive!). By simply waving your smartphone over the console, you can transfer your workout data to a free fitness app for long-term tracking and graphing.
How does this model compare with other LifeSpan treadmill desks? Well, there are eight altogether. Mid-priced DT5 models like the TR1200-DT5 in this review let you control desk height manually. The more expensive DT7 models let you control desk height electronically. The cheapest LifeSpan DT3 office treadmills are BYOD or “Bring Your Own Desktop.” These machines are treadmill bases without work surfaces.
Of the options with manual desktop adjustment, the LifeSpan TR1200-DT5 is most popular because it can run for six consecutive hours. A slightly cheaper version tops out at three hours, while a pricier LifeSpan DT5 treadmill can operate for ten hours straight.
What We Like:
Here are the impressive features of the LifeSpan TR1200-DT5 Treadmill Desk:
- Simple Assembly: Start working out within 30 minutes of delivery. LifeSpan desk treadmills arrive practically ready-to-use. That’s rare as most treadmills require annoying and time-consuming assemblies.
- Adjustable Height: For trainees ranging from 4’10” to 6’8″ tall, the durable laminate work surface can manually move to a comfortable position. The desktop can rest from 33.5″ to 52.5″ above the deck.
- Quiet Motor: The 2.25 HP motor is virtually silent and business-call friendly. It can run for six hours straight, plus it will automatically stop running if you stop walking on the belt. The motor warranty lasts for three years.
- High Speed: This LifeSpan treadmill desk can be set to run from 0.4 to 4.0 mph. Most people set the treadmill to support about one or two miles per hour.
- Six Hour Capacity: This office treadmill can run for six hours straight. Six hours is the “Goldilocks” duration for most customers. Three hours of straight running time (TR800-DT5) is too short for the workday, while ten hours (TR5000-DT5) is excessive unless the workstation is shared.
- Shock Absorption: For all LifeSpan desk treadmills, impact is absorbed at six points along the track. This makes treadmill walking easier on your joints compared with walking outdoors. It also helps minimize the sound of your steps.
- Soft Armrests: Foam-injected armrests at the front of the desktop will help you avoid carpal tunnel discomfort from typing.
- Custom Colors: To complement your office decor, the TR1200-DT5 is available in two frame colors: black and silver. Desktop finish options are gray, white, faux cherry wood, and “absolute acajou,” which resembles weathered teak.
- Bluetooth Integration: LifeSpan treadmill desk consoles are Bluetooth-enabled for tracking workout data with the free Active Trac mobile app. Charting your progress can be motivating and feedback can help shape progress.
- Hidden Cable: For a refined look, LifeSpan treadmill desks have internal cable tracking. By keeping the cord inside, this design also promotes safety by minimizing stumbles.
- Safety Features: The Intelli-Guard safety feature pauses treadmills if you stop walking for 20 seconds. This feature helps protect children or pets who might wander into your home office. It also preserves the motor’s longevity. Another safety feature are the rails that can be held for stability.
- High Capacity: The maximum user weight capacity is 350 pounds.
- Good Warranty: The $1,449 retail price for this LifeSpan treadmill desk includes lifetime protection for the frame, three years for the motor, two years for parts, and one year for labor. That’s pretty good for this price. You can expect the machine to outlast its warranty if you keep the track lubricated and don’t push the motor to its limit too often. Extended warranties are also available.
- Satisfaction Guarantee: You’ll get 60 days to decide whether the TR1200-DT5 is right for you. You can return the machine for a refund, but shipping costs are your own..
LifeSpan TR1200-DT5 Treadmill Desk Treadmill - Key Specs:
|Running Area:||20" x 50"|
|Top Speed:||4 MPH|
|Weight Capacity:||350 LBS|
|Dimensions:||74" L x 46.75" W x 6" H|
- Plastic Components: This treadmill desk is pretty durable but the safety guard rails are plastic. For a more added stability, choose the TR5000-DT5 with metal rails.
- Not Maintenance Free: We don’t mind maintaining our fitness machines now and then, but some customers prefer treadmills with pre-lubricated workout surfaces. With the TR1200-DT5 (but not the TR5000-DT5 or the TR5000-DT7), you’ll need to wax the track to keep the machine performing at its best.
- No Incline: This low-speed desk treadmill lacks incline for the workout surface. Using an incline wouldn’t be advisable during your computer work time, but it could enhance your training at other times.
Check Out Our Video Review of the LifeSpan TR1200-DT5 Treadmill Desk
We’d happily welcome this LifeSpan desk treadmill into any home or commercial office. It isn’t an all-purpose treadmill, but the TR1200-DT5 operates quietly for phone calls, can run for six hours straight without stuttering, and can track your steps as well as other fitness data via Bluetooth. The base also has a full-size belt (unlike some other low-speed treadmills) and the machine has safety features to help protect trainees as well as curious kids and household pets. This machine is a best buy in the “manual adjustment” category and highly recommended.