The new Smart Performance 400i has a few upgrades for 2019. It comes with a 7” Smart HD touchscreen display, large enough to see your workout statistics and enabled with iFit Coach (which provides access to a vast array of on-demand trainer led videos). The technology allows you to virtually walk terrains from around the world through the console, automatically adjusting your incline to the elevation of the area to provide a true sense of the experience (as well as added exercise benefits). iFit Coach is a subscription app, however your first year is free with purchase of the 400i. In addition to the subscription, the 400i comes with 50 built-in workout programs.
The treadmill belt is 18” x 50” which is a little on the short side, as a walking/running treadmill usually is 55”. If you are tall your strides may be limited. This size works for shorter strides typically used when walking. It is designed with ProShox Cushioning, which limits the impact on your joints.
The motor power is 2.0 CHP Mach Z, which again is engineered for walking. The digital QuickSpeed Control allows you to manoeuvre between speeds effortlessly without breaking your concentration or stride. The 10 MPH maximum speed is more than enough to get you moving and improve your cardio. When combined with the incline that adjusts up to 10%, you can target and tone different lower body muscles. This is another technique to increase your workout intensity while minimizing the shock on your joints.
As you increase the speed and incline, gauge your heart rate with the grip pulse sensors located on the cross bar in front. Although wireless monitoring is more accurate, the handgrip at least provides a good sense of your zones.
There is a tablet holder that will keep your tablet firmly in place. Your music can be linked through the audio auxiliary port and can be heard via the dual 2” speakers.
Once you’re finished your workout, fold and easily move the machine out of the way thanks to the Spacesaver design.
The warranty is fairly decent: a lifetime on frame, 25 years on warranty, and 1 year on parts and labor.
What We Like:
- SpaceSaver: Although it’s footprint is relatively small you may still want to fold up and move the treadmill out of the way when you are finished your walk.
- 50 built-in programs: That’s quite a few programs, offering variety to keep you motivated and improve your fitness levels.
- iFit subscription: A one-year free subscription with purchase provides access to a nearly unlimited amount of workout sessions/
- Automatic incline/speed: Workout programs can automatically adjust the treadmill’s incline and speed (maxing out at 10% and 10 mph). Of course you can also choose manual to adjust these settings at your own pace.
- Cushioning: ProShox cushioning reduces the stress on your joints by up to 28% compared to pounding on pavement.
- Grip Heart Monitor: Built in heart rate sensors make it easy to keep track of your heart rate zone. It can’t match the accuracy of a wireless monitor but it will keep you aware.
- Audio: An audio auxiliary port allows you to play your own music through the dual 2” speakers.
- User Capacity Limit: The user capacity limit of 300 lbs is decent.
- Tablet Holder: An integrated holder with grips to hold your personal tablet firmly in place.
ProForm Smart Performance 400i Treadmill - Key Specs:
|Running Area:||18" x 50"|
|Top Speed:||10 MPH|
|Weight Capacity:||300 LBS|
|Dimensions:||65.77" L x 32.75" W x 56.42" H|
- No Workout Fan: It’s always nice to have a built in fan to keep cool. Not on this machine though.
- Track: The 50″ track is a little short.
The ProForm Smart 400i is a solid value purchase. The specifications and design are best suited for those only interested in walking. However, the 50 workout programs and almost unlimited workout options via the iFit Coach will can certainly take your walking to the next level. This treadmill is for a specific user to be sure. If you don’t intend to run on the machine, you can have all the bells and whistles of a higher end treadmill at a reasonable price. Ideal for walkers, but not good for households with even a single runner.