For years the Sole S77 Treadmill has lent a health club atmosphere to home gyms. Recently upgraded with Bluetooth it’s a better value than ever — and especially for customers getting the $1,899 online sale price. (The MSRP is $2,799.) The Sole S77 is designed primarily for runners but is also a great choice for walkers, as explained later in this review. Key points are a 4.0 CHP motor, a 22″ x 60″ track, 15 incline levels and 10 workout programs. Helping people extend their workout time, the S77 Treadmill features a sound system (an MP3 player port and speakers) and a secure holder for a tablet computer.
The S77 can display exercise progress two ways. The default is the treadmill’s easy-to-read 9″ graphic screen. A second option is your own mobile device, which can connect to the treadmill through the Sole Fitness App. This app lets you set up a workout, then use your other apps as it collects workout data in the background. The Sole Fitness App can send stats to FitBit, iHealth, MyFitnessPal and other mobile programs that help people track and maximize their fitness efforts.
What We Like:
- High quality construction: The S77, like all Sole treadmills, has a bulletproof commercial steel frame. We doubt that bullet-ridden treadmills are a common problem, but it’s nice to know… Some other club-quality components are a 4.0 CHP motor, a two-ply belt, 2.75″ belt rollers and a deck with excellent shock absorption.
- For walking and running: Take it slow or run at top speed. While many treadmills have speed ranges of one to 10 mph, the S77 has a range of 0.5 to 12 mph. And thanks to the power incline, even walking at slow speeds on this treadmill can burn a significant number of calories.
- Power incline: The automated incline has a max tilt of 15% to enhance your cardio challenge, rev up calorie burn and improve muscle tone.
- Easy-to-read display: Recently upgraded, the Sole’s 9″ graphic screen is designed for easier reading. It shows data in white and light blue against black for high contrast.
- Tablet integration and data tracking: The newest Sole treadmills have Bluetooth for connecting a tablet computer and running the Sole Fitness app. The app lets you set up workouts, then use other apps during exercise if you choose. Your workout data will be stored on your mobile device and can be sent to FitBit, MyFitnessPal and other fitness apps. The Sole Fitness app also has a workout calendar and other useful features.
- Commercial motor: The S77 Treadmill has a quiet commercial-grade 4.0 CHP motor. This motor has a lifetime guarantee and, unlike lower quality alternatives, has two zinc-coated flywheels that help minimize vibration.
- Track size: A spacious 60″ x 22″ running area distinguishes this treadmill from most others, whether residential or commercial. The track is long enough for tall runners and 2″ wider than most treadmill tracks.
- Track cushioning: Helping runners avoid joint pain, Sole’s CushionFlex Whisper Deck absorbs impact significantly better than asphalt can. Running on a Sole treadmill instead of outdoors can be about 40% easier on your joints.
- Wireless heart rate readers: Sole treadmills have contact pulse sensors and are compatible with wireless chest straps for heart rate monitoring.
- Audio: The Sole S77 is bluetooth compatible so you can easily listen to what is playing on your music player. The Sole S77 has loud speakers and a quiet motor… a perfect combination.
- High capacity: The maximum user weight capacity is 400 pounds.
- Great warranty: The Sole S77 Treadmill carries a lifetime warranty for its frame, motor and deck; a five-year warranty for parts; and a two-year agreement for in-home repairs.
Sole S77 Treadmill - Key Specs:
|Incline:||0 to 15%|
|Running Area:||22" x 60"|
|Top Speed:||12 MPH|
|Weight Capacity:||400 LBS|
|Dimensions:||80" L x 36" W x 58 H|
- Program variety: Sole treadmills have only ten workout programs. “Only?” Some would say that ten’s more than enough, but we should point out that it’s on the low end. The program menu has six standard preset workouts, two heart rate control workouts, and two user-designed workouts.
- Large size: The S77 has Sole’s largest treadmill deck. Its footprint measures 35″ x 83″.
See Our Video Review of the Sole S77 Treadmill (2015 model)
The Sole S77 Treadmill easily earns positive reviews. It rivals commercial treadmills but costs much less. You’d be hard-pressed to find another treadmill with such a roomy track and high performance at this price.
We recommend buying the S77 directly from Sole Fitness for the best overall value (price, free shipping and buyer protection).
Who should look elsewhere? If you don’t weigh a lot and aren’t so tall, you could spend less on a lower-level Sole treadmill and get workouts of the same high quality.