The ProForm brand has improved significantly over the past several years, and a ProForm treadmill is now the official training machine for the Boston Marathon.
Below are overviews of ProForm’s various treadmills for 2014. The Performance Series is best for walkers, the PRO and Power Series are great for most runners, and the Boston Marathon Series is ideal for those who run hours at a time.
ProForm also features two 3.0 HP desk treadmills called the ProForm Thinline and the ProForm Thinline Pro. This adjustable unit can be used with a tablet or laptop computer. The ProForm desk treadmill is packed with appealing features such as incline/decline, 40 workout apps, and iFit. It arrives ready to go – no assembly required!
Performance Series Treadmills
Most of us don’t need a Marathon treadmill. The ProForm Performance Series caters to the more typical runner or walker. It includes some of the most popular and affordable treadmills on the market. Each is iFit-ready, so trainees with wireless Internet can download customized workouts created by personal trainers, take part in online treadmill races, and enjoy other interactive benefits. Also, each treadmill in this series has a SpaceSaver design: It can be folded vertically to free up floor space. iPod ports, workout fans and grip heart rate monitors are included too.
Differences between these four treadmill models are significant. The entry-level Performance 400c is rather basic. Its main attractions are an iPod port and 18 workout apps. It has a 2.5 CHP motor and 55” track, so it’s not meant for intense running. Meanwhile, the top-of-the-line Performance 1450 has a 10” color touchscreen and Android browser, a longer track to accommodate a running stride, and a 3.25 CHP Mach Z motor.
The ProForm Power Series is more advanced than the Performance Series. Each of the four treadmills in this series has a 3.0 or 3.25 CHP motor and a 0 – 15% incline.
The Power 1080i is our favorite from this series. It has a decline too – and a 10” touchscreen, 32 built-in workouts and wireless heart rate monitoring.
The ProForm Pro Series features the company’s top technology outside of the Marathon treadmill lineup. The four treadmills in this series have motors ranging from 3.25 to 4.25 CHP. The most affordable PRO treadmill, the PRO 2000, is iFit-compatible and has the same 15% incline -3% decline found on the Power 1080i.
The PRO 9000 is the most expensive treadmill in the Pro series. It is sold already iFit-enabled and has a 10” touchscreen.
What We Like:
- Price: ProForm sells treadmills to fit any budget. Prices range from about $600 to $4000.
- Compact design: Some ProForm models can be folded to save space.
- Motors: ProForm takes power seriously. Their cheapest treadmills have motors with 25-year warranties, and the Official Boston Marathon Treadmill 4.0 has a 4.25 CHP motor sold with lifetime coverage.
- Workout programs: Customers get ample programming with every ProForm. The most inexpensive treadmill has 18 preset workouts and can be upgraded with an iFit membership.
- Audio capability: iPod-compatible audio ports and Intermix Acoustics sound systems help to keep exercisers entertained.
- Cushioning: ProForm’s newer tread belts are very well cushioned to deflect shock. Some include the option of disabling the cushioning to simulate outdoor training.
What We Don’t Like:
- Warranties: Some ProForm warranties are better than others. The cheapest models only include one year of parts protection, but others have up to six.
- Older treadmill models: We advise against purchasing late-model ProForm treadmills. (None are included on this review page or on the ProForm website.) Many of these were sold with 90-day warranties and are not expected to last for long.
ProForm was once considered a substandard budget brand, but now it has earned much better treadmill reviews. The range of prices and features includes something for everyone: The Performance Series is best for walkers, the PRO and Power Series are great for most runners, and the Boston Marathon Series is ideal for those who run hours at a time.