The ProForm Performance Series are some of the most popular treadmills on the market. They have many features that are designed to maximize functionality and make their machines easy to use. These features include LED displays, air-based shocks, and heart rate monitors. The LED displays are easy to read and help exercisers track their progress in the areas of speed, calories burned, distance, and time. Air-based shocks cushion the running surface so that the impact on the exerciser’s joints is reduced and they have less chance of being injured. These treadmills feature an additional shock that helps lift the deck easily for vertical storage. Heart-rate monitors are built into the handlebars so that the exerciser’s heart-rate is tracked automatically and they don’t have to think about attaching anything to their body or touching a button. A workout fan is also built into every ProForm Performance Series treadmill to help exercisers keep cool while burning calories and increasing their endurance levels.
The ProForm Tour De France was chosen as the official training bike for the famous bicycle race. It features inclines and declines and technology that allows users to pick a route that is located anywhere in the world and automatically feel the terrain of their chosen route while inside on the Tour De France training bike.
One feature that is often noted by people who review ProForm’s exercise equipment is their focus on technology. ProForm has developed iFit technology that connects their exercise machines with the Internet so that users can download customized workout plans and can even set up races between them and their Facebook friends if their friends also have ProForm machines. Users of iFit can also download workouts from Jillian Michaels and track their fitness progress online. Another feature of iFit is that users can choose a route anywhere in the world and feel the actual terrain of that route when they use their treadmill, elliptical machine, or exercise bike. This allows users to train using the actual terrain of their race course without leaving their home.
What We Like
- Price: ProForm home treadmills cost about $600 – $1600 when purchased new.
- Compact design: Some ProForm models, including the Power 995, fold to save space.
- Motors: ProForm takes power seriously. The ProForm Power 995, for instance, boasts a 3.5 HP commercial-quality motor. Even the Proform 590T, an entry-level model, has a better-than-average 2.25 continuous horsepower motor.
- Workout programs: ProForm’s newest treadmills have especially entertaining and motivational workout programs. One special feature is their iFit card readers. Each iFit card contains eight weeks of exceptional personal training: users listen to an actual personal trainer, and the treadmill automatically adjusts its incline and decline to support the individual user’s workout goals. Basic treadmill workout programs are also provided.
- Audio capability: iPod-compatible audio ports and built-in Intermix Acoustics 2.0 sound systems help to keep exercisers entertained.
- Cushioning: ProForm’s newer tread belts are specially cushioned to reduce the impact on runners’ joints by up to 15%.
- Warranties: Considering the brand’s relatively low cost, ProForm treadmills come with acceptable warranties. Newer models are sold with lifetime motor warranties, at least 2-year warranties on other parts, and 1-year labor warranties.
What We Don’t Like
- Track length: Some ProForm track lengths are best suited to walkers and shorter runners. The 590T’s track is just 55” long.
- Older treadmill models: Customers are advised against purchasing late-model ProForm treadmills. Many of these were sold with only 90-day warranties and are not expected to last for many years. These models are also not suited for serious runners.
ProForm was once considered a substandard budget brand, but it has earned a better reputation over the past several years. People interested in light to moderate exercise tend to be pleased with their iFit workout options, and the machines’ superior audio capability provides extra motivation to exercise. Our treadmill review on this brand found that wore serious athletes might only be interested in ProForm’s top-of-the-line models in order to get sufficient motor power.
The newer ProForm models are sold with adequate warranties and can be expected to work well for many years. Customers are advised against investing in older ProForm home treadmills.